Nina Purewal faced an unexpected tragedy as a teenager. She joins The Now What Pod to talk about the impact the murder-suicide of her father and brother had on her life and how it ultimately led her to an ashram in Northern California. Her loss and work to heal inspired not only a lifelong love of mindfulness & meditation but also a change in career, best-selling book and more.
• Jen & Tesha spend some time talking current events (CW abortion)
• Introductions and talk about Nina's body of work
• How sharing stories help us let go of the shame around mental health & grief
• The story of her father's & brother's death, how public it was and how it felt for Nina. Survivor's guilt
• Nina's relationship with her mother and how supportive she was.
• The pressure to just keep going and keep living. Finishing high school and going through university and getting a degree and working in corporate without ever having fully dealt with the trauma.
• Leaving it all to go to an ashram for a year with her mother and how that led to the work she does now
• Letting go of the "shoulds" and not letting society dictate what makes a happy or successful life and how to parent kids who can see past that.
From the Intro
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v Wade https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/1102305878/supreme-court-abortion-roe-v-wade-decision-overturn
Abortion Rights Coalition Canada https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/
Action Canada for Sexual & Health Rights https://www.actioncanadashr.org/
National Network of Abortion Funds https://abortionfunds.org/
From the episode
Nina's Website https://www.pureminds.ca/
It's Ok to Ask Podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/its-ok-to-ask/id1596680248
Let That Sh*t Go by Nina Purewal & Kate Petriw https://amzn.to/3Nnjryw
When The Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress by Gabor Mate https://amzn.to/3OuXVcu
About Nina Purewal:
Nina Purewal faced an unexpected childhood tragedy, which inspired her mindfulness and meditation journey over twenty years ago. After climbing the corporate ladder in sales & marketing for nearly a decade, she took a sabbatical and moved to California to unplug and live in an ashram for a year to further her learning of ancient wisdom and letting go. It’s been her greatest passion to help others find happiness through adversity. With that, she founded Pure Minds, a social enterprise that conducts mindfulness and meditation workshops for the corporate sector, with over 45 clients. She is the co-author of the International Bestseller, Let That Sh*t Go and has also partnered with A Kids Company About as a podcast host and kids meditation mentor. Find Nina on Instagram at @nina.pure.minds
Get on our email list
Support The Now What Pod
Buy Us a Coffee
Patreon - and access special episodes and content
Want to be a guest on The Now What Pod?
You can reach us at
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean App.